Sunday, September 1, 2013

End of [the Jewish calendar year] 5773

Someone suggested I keep a blog the other day. In some ways I feel too old for blogs, or they feel too old for me. I feel like I should only have one if it's connected to a professional website of mine, if it's really focussed, or if it's private. I'm also thinking Blogger is probably a bit old school. In any case, I'm trying to just post some thoughts here for later, because my notebooks and saved drafts and desktop documents feel overwhelming. Digital pileup. The Jewish new year is coming up in a few days, so this timing can be about that and other transitions.

Things on my mind at this moment:

-social justice not being about niceness. Agree! Wanting to give thoughts on the article I read (and maybe you did too) about this, that is not just a reiteration.
-entitlement versus privilege. I've been thinking about this a lot over the last year.
-activist identification, and activism. When I'm not putting my body on the line or attending meetings, what does it mean.
-the most offensive things that have been said to or near me this year. Hurts my heart.
-Fuck you, hard femme. I've been having a bit of a hate/love/hate-on for "hard femme" lately/since I started hearing the term. The other day I said something like this and the friend I was with responded "that's new right?" (speaking about the term being used, not my hate). I appreciated that. I wonder if this is a sign of age. The first time I feel resistant to liberatory language I could identify with. It's by no means the first time, but this feels different somehow (not bigger, but different).
-queer death ritual. 
-boyfriend jeans. This is going to be the umbrella term for this whole storm of things I want to complain about re: queer expectations/queer conventions and other language I'm going to claim to mean the queer equivelent of homonormative. Less body, less problems. Sorry/not sorry skinny people.

No comments:

Post a Comment